Sunday 23 May 2010

Methodologies, sunsets and surprise gifts

I attended the bi-annual saturday conference at BIAD yesterday which is for the staff and research students across the Art & Design faculties there. The conference focused on methodology, which is something that is particularly important in my own research. I thought it was really interesting to discuss how method and methodology can emerge as the research unfolds academically; particularly in relation to epistemology and how theory and methodology can be constructed as you go and develop implicitly through experience and gaining knowledge. I think this is particularly important in art and design and particularly my own research which is grounded in notions of perfomativity and ideas unfolding and emerging in alternative spaces. I have also been asked to deliver a session to PhD students in the next academic year about methodology as part of the Postgraduate Certificate in Recearch Methods in Art & Design course that I took in 2008 at the start of my PhD which is both scary and exciting!

Making the most of the beautiful weather I went for a lovely walk in Cannock Chase on Saturday evening as the sun was setting. I saw loads of deer and rabbits as well! I really appreciate being able to go for country 
strolls yet being so near cities such as Birmingham and Manchester.

I finally completed a handmade book with photos that I took of my cousin-in-laws-to-be Nick and Suzy's wedding. They got married in March and I took some really nice photos and had been meaning to make
    
them a handmade book with a selection of photos for ages ... as it took about three full days to fully make, I became quite attached to it, but have now sent it off to them as a surprise! I think the photos of the book itself looks quite nice against my Cath Kidston tablecloth!!

No comments:

Post a Comment