Thursday 1 December 2011

Painting-poems and Waffles

After working on a huge Textstallation in April this year, I've been focusing more recently on working on a much smaller scale; working into book pages and on paper using materials such as wax and layering text together.
 
I've really been enjoying this way of working. It seems a lot more natural at the moment as I can create the work on my desk - the space where I also write - and let the two processes happen simultaneously, allowing them to collide and develop in relation to each other.

Last week, I took part in a great exhibition curated by Vicky Atkinson called 'The Texture of Text' at the College of Art, BIAD where I exhibited a series of painting-poems which I developed from the smaller paper pieces above. It was really good to see the work outside of the studio space as it looked totally different in the gallery because of the lighting, the way my pieces were displayed in relation to each other and how they worked with the rest of the space, although my photos don't really do it and some of the other work justice! I thought that the exhibition looked really great and the pieces all worked really well in relation to each other!



My work


Emma Lacken

Matthew Springer


Scott Chedzoy

Niall Singh

As you have also guessed if you have read my other posts, I love love love the work of Space Invader who is a French graffiti artist. I happened to stumble across an exhibition of his work in London this weekend at the Outsiders Gallery called Attack of the Space Waffles! There are free space invader shaped waffles being served (!) as well as some of his pieces of work and a really good video in the basement space called 'In Bed with Invader' - defo worth seeing if you happen to be in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment